A BIT OF WANDERLUST: CHATSWORTH HOUSE

January 9, 2015

 
"It was a large, handsome, stone building standing well on rising ground, and backed by a ridge of high woody hills; and in front, a stream of some natural importance was swelled into greater, but without any artificial appearance. Its banks were neither formal, nor falsely adorned."  - Jane Austen
 
Chatsworth House is a stately home in Derbyshire, England. It is the seat of the Duke of Devonshire and has been home to the Cavendish family since 1549. Standing on the east bank of the River Derwent, Chatsworth looks across to the low hills that divide the Derwent and Wye valleys. The house, set in expansive parkland and backed by wooded, rocky hills rising to heather moorland, contains a unique collection of priceless paintings, furniture, Old Master drawings, neoclassical sculptures, books and other artifacts. In Pride and Prejudice, Chatsworth was used as Pemberley, the residence of Mr. Darcy. It is believed that Jane Austen actually based her idea of Pemberley on Chatsworth House as she wrote the novel while in Bakewell.

Which brings me to the inspiration behind this post! Every single time I watch Pride and Prejudice or read the novel, I am in awe of the magnificence of the entire grounds that Chatsworth encompasses. This estate is probably one of the most breathtaking places I have ever seen. It is currently #1 on my bucket list to visit, and when I go to Europe in 2019 you better believe I'll be going here first! Make sure to listen to this song from the 2005 version of P&P, and you'll be whisked away into a dream-like space. I will have my headphones on when I first walk into the main entrance, and will be playing that song.. It is a dream of mine.
 
 
 
(PHOTOS VIA: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6)
 
Have a beautiful weekend, everyone!
 
LET'S CONNECT || FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
 
Always,
Mostly Lisa

Post a Comment