We are now in the throes of summer and that means really only one thing: it's going to be insanely hot outside (global warming at its finest, folks) and you have to prepare yourself. Yesterday, temperatures reached to almost 90 degrees and that wasn't even one of the hottest days last week! While I was going about my day, I began thinking of ways that I could make this summer more tolerable for myself and everyone else. These three things should make this season somewhat enjoyable, if not at least somewhat fun. Read on below!
1. Hair up, don't care: I thought I would include this step first, since it's something I would not normally want to do while keeping cool. I'm a little self conscious about putting my hair up, always have been since middle school, and I only tend to wear it up when I'm at home. It's the weirdest thing to be anxious about, self-image wise, but I don't like showcasing that I have a double chin and sometimes I feel like it's not flattering for the frame of my face. It gets to the point though of being so hot outside, that I literally just don't care and have to get my thick hair off of my neck. This was the case yesterday, and with a little help from Julia Engel and a Snapchat story she shared a week or so ago, I attempted to do the top bun. Lemme tell you, it felt super freeing to wear this out in public and to feel the breeze on my neck. Will definitely be trying this again.
2. Keep that complexion fresh: Because you can't forget a necessity like a hydrating moisturizer or mist primer during sweat-inducing weather. Want to know what is great about this tarte cosmetics product? It literally comes with a 4-in-1 blend of hydration, primer, setting spray and skin refresher! Having not purchased any product from the brand before, though secretly coveting every product in the Rainforest of the Sea™ line, I ventured out and finally did while shopping in Sephora! I've only had it for a couple of days, but after applying a few times here and there, I can really tell that this is a game-changer for my setting spray. If you spray it on before or after applying your foundation, it leaves the skin renewed and holds onto the base of your makeup.
3. Stay hydrated with water and cool drinks: As anyone knows, you will want to stay hydrated with water during these warmer days. While I enjoy water to keep my thirst quenched, I also enjoy mixing it up with other cool drinks from my favorite coffee houses! Whether it is Starbucks (who I found this amazing photo from) or Caribou Coffee, they both offer delicious drinks that will make your thirst feel extra satisfied. WARNING: Do not drink smoothies too quickly, as you will get a severe brain freeze, like I did yesterday. ;)
There you have it, my three tips to keep cool this summer. If you missed it, I shared these tips on my Snapchat yesterday, so go check that out! How do you stay comfortable during the summer?!
I've been doing these birthday wish lists for the past couple years, and while I know it's a little vain to to do one of these for yourself, I can't help but have fun with it. Why not shop around and come up with a list of things that you're currently eyeing, and blog about it for people to see? You never know, it could lead to something special on your actual birthday! People never know what you want until you tell them, right? The main reason I do these gift guides for myself is mostly because I love dreaming of someday being able to afford everything that I want, and not have to rely on someone else to get them for me.
It's also hard to accept the fact that I'm turning a year older and slowly getting closer and closer to being 30. I still don't feel like I've accomplished everything that I've wanted to in my 20's, and while I know I still have 3 more years, it's making me want to try harder to achieve the goals I've put out there for myself. I hate getting in depth about life on these types of posts, but sometimes it's hard not to reflect on where you are at certain points in your life. It does sound a lot like rambling most of the time, but a lot of the time that is how my brain feels when it's trying to express itself. So for these reasons; getting older, wanting to achieve more things in life and hoping to someday buy big things for myself, I like to make these gift guides.
My birthday is this Sunday, so here's hoping that I can get at least one of these things crossed off my wish list. Who knows, maybe I'll be the one to do it! Shop all the links below, and let me know how you celebrate your birthday every year!
1. Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin Body Creme ($75): A coworker of mine has this lotion in her office, and I just so happened to try it out. Let's just say, I was instantly hooked. Jo Malone is such a quality brand, I can't believe I've never heard of it before! This lotion would definitely be worth the price, as the container it is in is HUGE.
2. diptyque 'Vanille' Scented Candle ($32): Who doesn't want a candle with a name like 'diptyque'? This French candle brand is luxurious and can really only be found in major department stores. How fancy!
3. NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 ($44): What I usually like to do while on break at work, is go to the major department stores and their beauty counters. I'm so glad I finally stopped at the NARS counter on Monday, because I came across this new foundation of theirs! It is so amazing on the skin, and you apply it with your hands to warm it up. This is definitely something I am going to be investing in for my birthday.
4. ZARA Iridescent Crossbody Bag ($20): This bag is adorable! It's also the perfect middle between big crossbody and small crossbody, so I cannot wait to purchase this. Did you also know that the Mall of America is finally getting a ZARA in the fall?! I cannot wait to see what the store is going to look like.
5. ban.do iPhone 6/6s Case - Selfies ($12): Oh, ban.do! They're hosting a 40% off sale right now, and it's perfect because I'm in need of a new cell phone case. This one is calling my name.
6. Cakeworthy Fairest Flannel($50): So Cakeworthy is such a fun brand, and if you've seen my 'Hocus Pocus' flannel, then you'll know how much I want this 'Snow White' one!
7. Starbucks Toucan Cold Cup ($17): It's a cold cup with toucans on it. How perfect is this? Especially since my go-to drink is an iced caramel macchiato.
8. Josh Ln Botanic Wars Beach Towel ($38): I found this print during December last year, and instantly fell in love. Now that Society6 has beach towels and bath towels, there is no reason not to be stylish while you're laying the sun!
9. Tuesday Bassen Mixed Emotions Pin ($10): This describes me perfectly.
10. Strange Women Society Initiation Pin ($11): As does this one.
11. NYX Cosmetics Butter Lipstick in Lifeguard ($6): This is just a given, since this lipstick is literally like buttah!
As most popular trends go for me, I'm a little hesitant to try them when they first appear. I don't really like change, and that seems to even apply to what is in my wardrobe. It may also be because I don't like to draw attention to myself all that often, or broadcast what I'm wearing because I am still a little self-conscious about my body. So imagine my surprise that the trend I'm focusing on today, and never thought I'd try on, is something that I actually really love and it's showing skin! There are fireworks going off right now in my brain, just to let you know.
If you keep up with trends, have two eyes or just simply go shopping, you will have seen the cold shoulder trend everywhere! Whether it's on the runway, in magazines or on blogs, this is the trend for S/S'16. The thing that I love the most about this it, and what I've literally just learned a couple days ago, is that it can be worn as pretty much anything you want it to be. I also learned that it is super flattering for my figure, which makes it even more amazing. If you're someone who likes to leave a little to the imagination and eye, like me, then this trend is definitely something to try out. When I put on the dress (pictured above + #4 below) at Old Navy, I felt sexy, feminine and sensual. WHEN DO I EVER FEEL THAT WAY? To answer that, hardly ever, so this is going to be something to embrace all summer.
Obviously I wanted to go on the hunt to find more options, and I surprisingly found a lot for plus size! ASOS Curve always has the 'on trend' items, but Eloquii has one of my favorite dresses right now that accentuates the cold shoulder. Here are six different ways to rock the trend, so shop them below!
3. Studio Off the Shoulder Chambray Dress ($111): Gimme, gimme! I am SO obsessed with this dress, and it's just been restocked on the website. It truly hurts that I will not be able to wear this for my birthday weekend, but hopefully I'll be able to get it someday. Look at those sleeves, and the length! I could see myself dancing the night away in this.