10 Books to Read This Spring

April 28, 2014


Since graduating from college I literally have all the time in the world to catch up on my reading. I have yet to find a full-time job, still, and so I've taken it upon myself to read as many books as I can while I'm still in this transition period. I have no idea how long this period will last, but I'm hoping I can read all of the books on my wishlist before time is up! Are any of you on Goodreads? It's probably the best site to keep up-to-date with books you've read in the past, books you're reading right now and books you want to read in the future. Not only can you "check-in" with your status of reading, but you can connect with friends and find recommendations of books that are similar to ones you've read. I'm all about that, and so I've come up with a list of books that are so my taste and that appeal to my heart strings. I won't be bringing any of these to a stylish location, but you can be sure my bed is where I'll be reading them!

1. The Secret of Raven Point by Jennifer Vanderbes:  When seventeen-year-old Juliet Dufresne receives a cryptic letter from her enlisted brother and then discovers that he’s been reported missing in action, she lies about her age and travels to the front lines as an army nurse, determined to find him.

2. The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan: The Opposite of Loneliness is an assem­blage of Marina’s essays and stories that, like The Last Lecture, articulates the universal struggle that all of us face as we figure out what we aspire to be and how we can harness our talents to make an impact on the world.

3. Love & Treasure by Ayelet Waldman: A spellbinding new novel of contraband masterpieces, tragic love, and the unexpected legacies of forgotten crimes.

4. A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams: Memorial Day, 1938: New York socialite Lily Dane has just returned with her family to the idyllic oceanfront community of Seaview, Rhode Island, expecting another placid summer season among the familiar traditions and friendships that sustained her after heartbreak. 

5. A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb: In the class of the high school English teacher she has been haunting, Helen feels them: for the first time in 130 years, human eyes are looking at her. They belong to a boy, a boy who has not seemed remarkable until now. And Helen--terrified, but intrigued--is drawn to him.

6. Flora by Gail Godwin: Ten-year-old Helen and her summer guardian, Flora, are isolated together in Helen's decaying family house while her father is doing secret war work in Oak Ridge during the final months of World War II.At three Helen lost her mother and the beloved grandmother who raised her has just died.

7. All The Birds, Singing by Evie Wyld: A stunningly insightful, emotionally powerful new novel about an outsider haunted by an inescapable past: a story of loneliness and survival, guilt and loss, and the power of forgiveness.

8. Wake by Anna Hope: A brilliant debut for readers of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, in which three women must deal with the aftershocks of WWI and its impact on the men in their lives—a son, a brother and a lover. Their tragic connection is slowly revealed as the book unfolds.

9. My Notorious Life by Kate Manning: Axie’s story begins on the streets of 1860s New York. The impoverished child of Irish immigrants, she grows up to become one of the wealthiest and most controversial women of her day.

10. The Widow Waltz by Sally Koslow: Georgia Waltz has things many people only dream of: a plush Manhattan apartment overlooking Central Park, a Hamptons beach house, valuable jewels and art, two bright daughters, and a husband she adores, even after decades of marriage.

What is on your spring/summer book list?! 

Always,
Mostly Lisa

8 comments

  1. I am actually very keen on going back to classics this summer, Russian classics :)

    Edita
    www.pret-a-reporter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a plan! You really can't go wrong with a great classic novel. Hope you have fun going back to them! :D

      Always,
      Mostly Lisa

      Delete
  2. I LOVE a good book :). I'm always reading, currently I'm reading a series by Karen Kingsbury. Ever heard of here? Great list, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding the right book that just takes you away from all of your real life troubles, and you're able to just escape for a few hours. I'm glad you enjoy doing reading, it's such a great thing. I've never heard of her, I will definitely check her out! Thank you for commenting.

      Always,
      Mostly Lisa

      Delete
  3. Amazon wishlisting everything! Look out, long plane rides and days at the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm glad you agree, and I think these books will be a lot of fun to read over the spring and summer. Hope you can read some! :D

      Always,
      Mostly Lisa

      Delete
  4. Great round up! I'm looking for a new book to borrow from kindle for May. I just finished Hidden and it was pretty good. Thanks for sharing!

    xo Megan, Lush to Blush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! Glad you think so, and I hope you enjoy finding a new book for this month. What is Hidden about? It sounds interesting. Thank you for commenting!

      Always,
      Mostly Lisa

      Delete