STYLE INSPIRATION: ASHLEY, THE SHOWSTOPPER

August 10, 2016

Ashley Graham is in one word, inspiring. Wait, she's obviously more than one word, right? So let's say; inspiring, sexy, stunning, superstar, confident, and yes, stylish. The list could go on and on, but all those descriptors are what I always think of when I think of her.

Ashley has BLOWN UP the 'plus-size' community with her confidence, attitude and fierceness when it comes to showcasing who she is as a person with an added bonus (yes, bonus) of having curves. It has been so refreshing to see someone be so bold and unapologetic when it comes to being 'plus-size', and I am absolutely in love. If I had only had someone like her to look up to when I was younger, to understand that I only have one body and that I should love it no matter what, I'd have to say that life would have been a little bit easier. Easier in the sense that I would not have been afraid to wear what I wanted to wear, brush off negative comments better and really just love who I was as a human being. While I didn't have that then, it's awesome to have it now as an adult.

Ashley has taken the fashion world head on and has launched her own lingerie collection with Addition Elle, her own swimsuit collection with swimsuitsforall and even a dress collection for DressBar! Those three things aren't even the tipping point of her success, because she was also named the FIRST 'plus-size' woman to be featured on a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover! To imagine what she must have felt like when she sound out, I can think it was like fireworks going off in her head. Not only has she graced that cover, but she's been in Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Glamour and now even has her own column in InStyle! She also just wrote an amazing article on body shaming and the critiques she gets everyday on being too big (WHEN SHE'S A SIZE 14) or that she looks too thin now that she's in the spotlight. It's heartfelt, honest and gives a hard look at the harshness of being in Hollywood and having everyone notice you.

With all of this being said, that is why Ashley is my style inspiration for the month of August! She has crossed boundaries and I cannot wait to see what she'll leap over next. For a snippet of what her style is like, make sure to watch this video she did of everything curvier women have been told not to wear. She takes every style and crushes it! Check out below how I would style an outfit inspired by Ashley.


(PHOTOS VIA: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5)
P.S. I put quotation marks over the term 'plus-size' in regards to Ashley, because she does not see herself in that category, which I respect. She is a size 14! That is a totally average size for a woman in the United States, and I only want to use this term because I myself am definitely plus-size, and it's nice to have something to relate to when it comes to fashion.
LET'S CONNECT || FACEBOOK | TWITTER | TUMBLR | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
Always,
Mostly Lisa

Post a Comment