MAXIMALISM AT ITS FINEST

June 3, 2016

Here we are again! June has officially started, I'm closer to being a year older, summer is beginning soon and life is moving along as quickly as ever. When I was thinking of what I wanted to start this month with, I was going back and forth between an idea that I had come up with for May, but never got around to finishing. It's an interesting theme and one that I've not talked about before on Mostly Lisa. Since I really enjoy talking about trends and how they relate to each season, finding ways to talk about this one has kind-of put me into a loop. The idea was how to incorporate maximalism into a post about fashion, even though it's mostly used in the artwork world. Then I instantly thought, "well, isn't fashion art?" and so here we are today.  Maximalism is defined as, "a reaction against minimalism,  an aesthetic of excess and redundancy. The philosophy can be summarized as “more is more”, contrasting with the minimalist motto "less is more". 

I am definitely not someone who thinks about more is more when it comes to fashion, but I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and think about ways that I could be that person. Getting inspiration from Dries Van NotenGucci and Jackson Pollock really helped get the creative juices flowing, and I've slowly realized that when it's done right, this aesthetic can be really beautiful. I've also noticed that maximalism has been taking over the runway lately, starting just a few seasons ago. Designers are being bold when it comes to mixing patterns, creating layers of different fabrics to cohesively serve one another and unexpected colors are getting mixed together. When I found the inspiration from Gucci, it was like the heavens opened! For real though, go check out their Spring 2016 RTW collection for all your maximalism needs. Enjoy my take on what this trend means for me, and shop all the links below!

Post a Comment